Provides the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP), also known as food stamps, to qualified applicants in the state of Oregon. Funds are dispersed through an Electronic Benefit Transfer (EBT) card also known as the Oregon Trail Card.
1610 Ninth Court
Hood River, OR 97031
Eligibility: -Eligibility is determined on a case-by-case basis.
-Income eligibility follows a guideline of 200% FPL or below which is monthly income before taxes.
-Other factors are considered in determining eligibility and monthly SNAP benefit amount like: type of income, housing costs, utility costs, out-of-pocket medical expenses for those age 60 and older or receiving disability in the group, and relationships of the members of the family group.
-SNAP applicants must be a US citizen or meet specific non-citizen requirements.
Hours: Monday-Friday 8am-5pm, closed major holidays
Phone/FAX Numbers
  • (541) 386-3199 Main phone Self-Sufficiency
  • (541) 386-2962 Main phone Child Welfare
  • (855) 503-7233 Main phone Child Abuse Reporting
  • (541) 386-6458 FAX
  • (541) 386-3199 Main phone
  • (833) 604-0877 Multilingual Line
  • (541) 386-6458 FAX
Email Address: HoodRiver.ssp@dhsoha.state.or.us
COVID-19 INFORMATION: Due to Covid-19, call or visit the website. If in-person is required, please call first. Face coverings are required.
INTAKE PROCEDURE: Submit an application and have an interview (in-person or over the phone) with a DHS eligibility worker.

Different methods to submit an application:

-Walk in to the office
-Apply online (make sure to put your User ID, password and tracking number in a safe place)
-Print out a pdf version of the application, fill it out and mail it, fax it, or hand deliver it
-Call the office and request an application be mailed to you
-Applications are available in English, Spanish, Russian, Vietnamese and Somali

What to do once the application has been submitted:

-The local DHS office will call you to set up an in-person or phone interview appointment.
-You can contact the local DHS office to set up the interview appointment.
-DHS workers may not leave messages on voicemails that do not announce the applicant's name in the greeting of the voicemail.
FEES: None
DOCUMENTS: What you may need to provide during or after your interview:

-Social Security Number (SSN) for everyone who wishes to apply for benefits (not required to provide Social Security card)
-Proof of gross income for the last 30 days (pay stubs, a letter from employer, award letter, for self-employment bank statements showing business revenue and costs)
-Non-citizens must provide legal documentation in order for DHS to determine if they meet the eligibility criteria. Some examples include I-94, Permanent Resident Card, I-551, Employment Authorization, I-688B.

-Photo Identification may be helpful but is not required, DHS can verify identity with a SSN or another method
-If you are experiencing homelessness, you will need a temporary mailing address to apply. An eligibility worker can help you figure out other needed documents.
-If you are facing challenges obtaining proof of income or other documents, a worker can work with you to obtain income verification and other needed information.
-You do not need any documents to fill out and/or submit an application
-Adults age 60 and older and adults with disabilities may be eligible for increased benefits by providing proof of their out-of-pocket medical expenses.
LANGUAGES: English, Spanish, interpretation by arrangement
AREA SERVED: Gilliam, Hood River, Sherman, Wasco, and Wheeler Counties
SITE HOURS: Monday-Friday 8am-5pm, closed major holidays
  • Food Stamps/SNAP
If you represent this agency, update your listing here.
* The community resource directory information is up to date to the best of our knowledge. However, you should always call the provider to confirm this information and make an appointment. Be sure to confirm payment information with the provider, if payment is required. 211Info does not rate, recommend or endorse any agency. We simply provide information as a public service.