Question: Can I dispute a SNAP case with ODHS?
Answer: Yes, After the interview, the SNAP office will send you a notice. If the applicant does not qualify for SNAP benefits, the notice will explain why.
If the applicant think the application has been wrongly denied or that they have not gotten the correct amount of SNAP benefits, they should tell the office. If the ODHS agent does not agree, the applicant must ask them to have their case reviewed by a fair hearing official.
People can ask the SNAP office for a fair hearing in writing, in person, or over the phone. The office will give information about the hearing rules in the state.
In some cases, people can continue to get SNAP benefits without a change while they are waiting for the hearing decision.

Question: How can I file a program discrimination complaint?
Answer: If you believe you experienced discrimination when obtaining services from USDA, participating in a USDA program, or a program that receives financial assistance from USDA, you may file a complaint with USDA. OASCR, through the Center for Civil Rights Enforcement, will investigate and resolve complaints of discrimination in programs operated or assisted by USDA.
USDA prohibits discrimination on the bases of race, color, religion, sex, sexual harassment, age, national origin, marital status, sexual orientation, familial status, disability, limited English proficiency, or because all or a part of an individual's income is derived from a public assistance program.
To file a program complaint of discrimination, complete the USDA Program Discrimination Complaint Form, (AD-3027) found online at: and at any USDA office, or write a letter addressed to USDA and provide with the letter all of the information requested in the form. To request a copy of the complaint form, call (866) 632-9992. Submit your completed form or letter to USDA by:
-Mail: U.S. Department of Agriculture Office of the Assistant Secretary for Civil Rights 1400 Independence Avenue, SW Washington, D.C. 20250-9410
-Fax: (202) 690-7442
-Email: [email protected].
Confidential Address
INTAKE PROCEDURE: Please use and refer website for more common questions:
  • Benefits and Services Assistance * Food Stamps/SNAP Recipients
Other Services Offered At This Location:
If you represent this agency, update your listing here.
* The community resource directory information is up to date to the best of our knowledge. However, you should always call the provider to confirm this information and make an appointment. Be sure to confirm payment information with the provider, if payment is required. 211Info does not rate, recommend or endorse any agency. We simply provide information as a public service.